Skip to main content

How it feels to be a woman...

 
Picture Courtesy - Google


I was under the impression that there's little about my life that should create any sense of alarm. I have a good job as a software engineer. I am fortunate enough to live in a decent gated community - the kind of place that shields you from the daily tantrums of India's traffic, water and noise pollution. Despite these considerable advantages, I still wonder how it feels to be a woman in India. Can I really describe myself as an empowered woman? And more importantly - am I free?
I have to admit that I don't even dare walk the few hundred feet to the main road near my place after 7 p.m. in spite of the spacious, well-paved roads; it isn't a pleasant walk at any time of the day. Too often, I don't feel like I can stand in the highway without being stared at. And almost instinctively when on public transport, invisible goose bumps springs up all over my body ready to sense the slightest, unwanted sign of harassment.
Even more disturbing, why does my mobile phone have to buzz with an almost eternal stream of text messages from my family checking when I'll be home every time I'm out after 8 p.m.? If it's like this for a 'fortunate' me, what must it be like for the millions of women who use public transport every day in this country?
 

   

...how it feels to be a woman in India



Yes, none of this is new to me now, nor is it new to any of India's women. Sadly, such experiences have become so much a part of a woman's day-to-day life that many of us have stopped questioning the injustice of how unsafe most of our cities are for women. But we have definitely learned to accept that we should dress sensibly if we are going out, that we shouldn't be stupid enough to want to stay out at night alone.
 
**********************************!!!************************************
The very idea of an International Women's Day first arose at the turn of the 20th century, which in the industrialized world was a period of expansion and turmoil, booming with population and radical ideologies. Since those early years, women bear responsibilities for meeting the basic needs of the family, and in spite of that, they are systematically denied the rights, education and freedom of action which they need to fulfill this responsibility. Did you know that one in every three women in India is illiterate? Even today after 65 years of Independence, the literacy rate of women is just at 65.5% as compared to men, who are at a healthy 82.1%. The vast majority of the world's poor are women. Of the millions of school aged children not in school, the majority are girls. And today, HIV/AIDS is rapidly becoming a woman's disease. In several southern African countries, more than three-quarters of all young people living with HIV are women.
Various studies across the globe show that when women are supported and empowered, of the whole society benefits. Families are healthier, more children go to school and the income increases. In short, our society becomes more resilient. Every person should be first aware of Human dignity, gender equality and empowerment of women. The idea of becoming a soldier or supporting women comes after that.
Let's educate ourselves and create awareness. So, are we up to it?
 
P.S.: I wrote this article on the occasion of Women's day - 2013.

—Roh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Up and Me (Not Me)

They say people who don't know to dance have two left feet. Although, I might have two left feet myself, what is more interesting is I might actually have two left hands. Okay, I understand that's funny but here is why: If you are a girl or a boy or a boy who looks like a girl, you would probably know that it is a thing now to have a makeup blog or vlog or youtube channel in your name. I bumped into this world of cosmetics, beauty blogs and tutorials only a few months ago. For those who don't know about it, let me tell you, it is a crazy, ruthless and unbelievable world. Picture sourced from Google Heard of these? Snail slime masks, Placenta hair masks, Seaweed bathing creams, Microblading.... and endless other such insane stuff. These are insane but quite popular among beauty enthusiasts and they even swear by the benefits of such products. These are otherwise cringe-worthy products in my world. I use gramflour+tumeric face mask, Coconut oil hair mask and  a

Pro Bono

Team Writers' Den Previous Chapter -   Res ipsa loquitur Want to read the story so far? - Game Of Blogs - Writers' Den He could see her directly ahead through the shimmering blue glass window of Cafe Hafooda in Saket. The afternoon sun streamed along from the western side, casting long shadows across the table. Cyrus glanced up at Jennifer and then down at his mobile.  JJ liked Cyrus but she had a lot of questions in her mind. What was he doing? Secretly texting someone? Investigating without her help? Trying to solve something before someone else is on it? She was on this case with him. She wanted to do this for herself and for that little child and may be something more than she could comprehend. Whatever was his rationale, JJ decided to confront him. She spun herself around, sat down and found herself face-to-face with Cyrus. There was a sparkle in JJ’s eyes and Cyrus’s were menacing with thirst. Her tattoo seized Cyrus’s attention most. He was transfi

Ever Yours, Vincent.

Never in a thousand years did I think I would be obsessed with a late, delusional psycho who was also an exceptional artist and a noteworthy character with a peculiar interest for romance. My affair started around 8 years back; a time when I had started writing and blogging for the first time. I visited this pop-up museum of contemporary art which showcased Vincent Van Gogh’s choicest documentaries. Many of his famous paintings were also on display. That was the day I fell in love, with his art, with the way he loved, with the way he expressed himself before he fell into life’s inevitable trap. The beautiful yellowish hues that dominated his paintings, the sunflowers, the potato eaters and the starry night which comes alive in my dreams every night. Those letters he wrote his brother Theo with care, love and a pinch of attitude. That unconditional brotherly love, that aimless love he showed his friend and mentor Gauguin, that love he showed the random women he saw and paint