Skip to main content

THE OASIS DREAM – TEN THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THE MIDDLE EAST




When I say exotic, the first thing that comes to my mind is the Middle East. Something about this place excites me. It could be the fact that it is the cradle of civilization; it could be the imminence of tall, taller and tallest buildings which adorn the sand dune-y landscape; it could be the flavor-rich food which comes from there. Let me list some here:
 
 
Falafel – A falafel roll is something I can have for lunch every day, really! The flavor which comes from the chickpeas and beans, ground and fried is out of the world. (Thanks to Masterchef Australia for teaching me the gastronomic mumbo jumbos) Did you know that the Halwa which is a celebrated sweet dessert in India originated from the Middle East?
 
The Glitterati – Who doesn’t like glamour? Parties and celebrations add glamour to the Middle East. With supersonic economic growth, we shouldn’t be surprised at the glitterati we see here. It is one of the most ambitious places in the world which always thrives for bigger and more extravagant in everything
 
 
Landscape – The teal blue waters and the creamy white sand, pitch-dark seas, the way the city hugs the water, captivating night views where series of lights form a glowing necklace, the canyons, the sandy-windy aura (All of which I have seen in the movies and in pictures).
Fancy Food - I was flabbergasted when I heard about the fact that you get some of the most expensive food here and I am craving to get at least a glimpse of it. They say in Burj al Arab, a dish made with white truffle decorated with gold foils costs more than 500 American dollars. Actually, it would be cruel on my part to call it a dish because the portions are unbelievably scarce
 
 
Feeling High - The insatiable appetite for building tall buildings is something to watch out for. I have often wondered how it would be to feel on top of the world. Dubai has an answer. Feeling high at Burj Khalifa is on my to-do list for quite some time now after I heard one could actually see the earth’s arc! Can that get any cooler? Or should I say eerier?
 
Ambitious cities - This place is known for its Innovation and technology. Be it roads or attractive infrastructure, the Middle East is for sure, a forerunner. The palm-shaped artificial island in Palm Jumeirah is one to quote. Did you know that the fireworks here were filmed by a passing satellite?
Do hips lie? Lovely women dancing to the tunes of a trance-like Arabic number, the infamous belly dance, which is spellbinding, originated from the Middle East. I would love to watch a dance sometime and I know for certain, hips don’t lie.
Natural Resources - The fact that oil is cheaper than water makes me wonder how scarcity of natural resources affects geographies across the world. Considering the fact that I have enough water to drink makes me content but I really want to go to this place where oil is abundant.
Gold mine, gold souk, gold paradise – that’s Middle East for you. Did you know that Burj Al Arab’s latest offering for children is 24 carat gold iPads? This is where luxury meets lunacy.
 
 
A beautiful language called Arabic – Although the language is predominantly used in a religious context, I would love to learn to read and write in Arabic someday. I absolutely love the sound of the Arabic words; they are trance-like and so reflective, it immediately shifts the listener to meditative mood.
 

*All the pictures are sourced from Google Images and Wiki
 
 

Comments

  1. I so want to visit the place!!! Maybe just maybe at the end of this year! FALAFEL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't miss a chance buddy! :)
      Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. It is 10:20 PM here in California. I come back to read your post because, me think, you write like me. That is similar to having a conversation one to one in our family room.
    I just read your post. I have a few doubts.

    By Middle East, did you mean the whole Middle East which consists of 18 different countries OR just Dubai only? I like what you wrote. But it is all applicable to UAE only. Not for the many of the other countries.

    Just FYI. I was a Country Manager for my Company in Saudi Arabia for 3 years. We can talk about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly about this country privately, if you want. Otherwise, it is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. //It is 10:20 PM here in California. I come back to read your post because, me think, you write like me. // That is a huge compliment, and honestly, I admire your writing a lot.
      I wish I could write as good as you (showcases heights of modesty here) ;) :D

      //By Middle East, did you mean the whole Middle East which consists of 18 different countries OR just Dubai only? I like what you wrote. But it is all applicable to UAE only. Not for the many of the other countries.// Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt were some of the countries I had in mind when I wrote this, so I just stuck to the 'Middle-east' tag, although most of the points seem utterly appropriate for UAE/ Dubai alone :)

      //Just FYI. I was a Country Manager for my Company in Saudi Arabia for 3 years. We can talk about The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly about this country privately, if you want. Otherwise, it is ok.// Wow, 3 years?! That sounds interesting, feel free to email me.

      Delete
  3. Sure will write about this place. Very interesting. We had a great time because we have American Passports and an important American Company sent me (us). Will write email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just one more FYI. I am glad you had Lebanon in your mind. Before all the troubles there, Beirut was considered as the Paris of Middle East. That shows I am a little bit older. HaHaHa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Yo-Yo' Tribe - A Meme

OK. Time for some fun, folks! Walk down the streets of any city, you are sure to find weirdos of all kinds. I am not being judgmental here, but trust me, there are a bunch of people who think of themselves as the coolest tribe on earth and the cool-ness is defined by their hair-dos and hair styles.  Let me give you some examples here...

Beginning the meme with a Zen-like look. I should admit that this look is more 'yogic' than weird. But only until he doesn't untie that bun on top! I name them the Zen tribe! :D
This style screams attention; attention from railroad signals to be specific. There are so many parallel tracks for trains to ply! The Awesome Railroad Tribe!

Well, well, I only get to see between my strands of hair and this is called 'Looking- through-the-hair-look'. "Are you smiling? winking? blushing? I don't have a clue!"




"Fine, I am growing a pine forest in my head and yes, it is fall time and some trees are starting to change color. I be…

[Home and Decor] :: Ideas for a perfect home

I have long been envisioning a place which is soulful and dreamy; a place that would like to call home.The essentials of my idea of a perfect home are:
Family and friends – They are the soulfulness and the life of every home. They are indeed those elements that make a ‘house’ a ‘sweet home’. Can’t do without’em!
Space – I am stuck with this space conundrum every time I enter an under-construction building. There seems to be a gap here. There were homes in earlier days which advocated spatial freedom and now everyone seem to look for compact homes. Think about living in concrete boxes?! I understand the money-factor involved but some with enough and more are unwilling to go for a spacious place too. The heritage houses of south India are perfect examples of space management when it comes to homes.
Sunlight - Who wants to live in a cave or a scary house?! In Vasthu Shastra and Feng Shui, we would notice a simple yet striking similarity which encompasses the need for sunlight to flow throu…

Johnny Bravo

When I thought about the alphabet J, the first thing that struck my mind is one of my favourite cartoon characters - Johnny Bravo. Although I was too young to understand his gimmicks, flirtatiousness and his pick up lines which failed most of the times, here are a few things I absolutely love about this character:


His totally awesome yellowy, blond-ish hair
His ‘beefcake’ physique and the way he carries himself with the tightttt black Tee, the blue pants and the ever so cool sunglasses!
His cute stupidity when he tries to impress girls and gets beaten up in the end
His unscathed confidence is totally epic
His style and karate chops make him the coolest cartoon character ever!


I have failed so many times trying to sketch Johnny boy during school days. But I always adore him, for; he is the coolest dude and my favourite *blushes*

I would like to thank all my earnest and patient readers for spending time in my blog. It does mean a lot and it definitely inspires me to write more (I totally can&#…