Skip to main content

Of Clichés, World Movies and Diwali


With theatricality and a superficial facial reaction, an underdog of the movie says “I have never seen anything like that”, stressing on the words never and anything with a slight tension in the epiglottis. Now, does that sound familiar? Talk about clichés!

OK. Tell me one thing folks, how does it so happen that in movies, moms are being portrayed as careless freaks? I am talking about that scene where a mother with a baby in a stroller is trying to cross a highway and this happens just about the same time as the hero’s quintessential action sequence of speeding comes into picture. What happens next is sheer insanity. In an almost ethereal instinct, the hero skids away with his car/bike missing the baby stroller only by an iota and lands perfectly on the other side of the road. Happy mom, happy baby, happy hero and trolled audience!

I started noticing such stereotypes lately due to the lack of interest in the stories the movies these days tell. On the other hand, I am a great fan of World movies, especially German. There is a certain exulted belief of reality in their movies. The emotions portrayed are simple and yet makes a banging effect. Talking of emotions, I should definitely mention “My mother, the mermaid”, a Korean movie which can be conveniently compared to a mellifluous rhythm. It is a time-travel love story about how an adolescent girl gets transported to the early years of her mother’s adolescent days and how she gets to see her parents’ love coming about and in the end she gets transported back to her present day. It is so beautiful that it makes you fall in love with your parents all over again.


Park Hae Il - It is pure bliss to watch him act! Picture source - Google Images

Turn that World Movies Channel ON guys! :) 

And wait, I have a diwali release - my new photo blog - Check it out too - Rewind and Play

Happy Diwali folks! :)


Comments

  1. Happy Deepavali to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, SG! Wish you the same.
      I am sure you had a wonderful Deepavali at Chennai :)

      Delete
    2. Celebrated Deepavali in true Chennai fashion after many many years. When I was younger, Amma used to make sweets and kaaram at home. Now we bought at A2B (Adyar Ananda Bhavan.)

      Delete
    3. That is lovely to hear, SG :)
      I too miss amma-made sweet kaarams, home and busvasnam, kambi mathaapu :)
      A2B - good choice :) :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Yo-Yo' Tribe - A Meme

OK. Time for some fun, folks! Walk down the streets of any city, you are sure to find weirdos of all kinds. I am not being judgmental here, but trust me, there are a bunch of people who think of themselves as the coolest tribe on earth and the cool-ness is defined by their hair-dos and hair styles.  Let me give you some examples here...

Beginning the meme with a Zen-like look. I should admit that this look is more 'yogic' than weird. But only until he doesn't untie that bun on top! I name them the Zen tribe! :D
This style screams attention; attention from railroad signals to be specific. There are so many parallel tracks for trains to ply! The Awesome Railroad Tribe!

Well, well, I only get to see between my strands of hair and this is called 'Looking- through-the-hair-look'. "Are you smiling? winking? blushing? I don't have a clue!"




"Fine, I am growing a pine forest in my head and yes, it is fall time and some trees are starting to change color. I be…

Optimum behavior of a productive techie

How to optimize your behavior to become a productive techie?
No emails, no trouble – If you don’t listen to my advice you will end up being buried under a billion emails, most of them unread by the end of this year. Emails are infectious. The biggest hindrance to a techie’s productivity, is emails. As long as you can stick to messages confined to the subject area like the one below, it is fine. But do not go beyond that and don’t you touch the body! Get independence from your emails, be a loud and shameless conversationalist. Be a caveman, do not ping, do not email, just go talk to the person next to you.
To: Preeya.Raj@XXX.com Subject: Code’s working, dude. Yay Peanuts at my desk
Walk like quick-silver – Fly, Fly to the restroom and back, Fly to the printer and back, Just fly, never walk. Redefine god speed and make time for C++.
Do not carry a bag – One of the most important rules. Never carry a bag/ purse/ lunch bag to work. There are hawks in the workplace who monitor you meaningl…

[Home and Decor] :: Ideas for a perfect home

I have long been envisioning a place which is soulful and dreamy; a place that would like to call home.The essentials of my idea of a perfect home are:
Family and friends – They are the soulfulness and the life of every home. They are indeed those elements that make a ‘house’ a ‘sweet home’. Can’t do without’em!
Space – I am stuck with this space conundrum every time I enter an under-construction building. There seems to be a gap here. There were homes in earlier days which advocated spatial freedom and now everyone seem to look for compact homes. Think about living in concrete boxes?! I understand the money-factor involved but some with enough and more are unwilling to go for a spacious place too. The heritage houses of south India are perfect examples of space management when it comes to homes.
Sunlight - Who wants to live in a cave or a scary house?! In Vasthu Shastra and Feng Shui, we would notice a simple yet striking similarity which encompasses the need for sunlight to flow throu…