Skip to main content

The Boomerang - A Pause, a reflection and…





One should not hold on to stuff that one needs to let go. I know I want to let go of a lot many things and honestly speaking, I am working on changing and that's why I am writing this series. I want to be able to release all my anxiety and just enjoy my existence. I am enjoying the process of figuring all this out. It's just takes time. Eventually I'll get my thoughts, emotions and life aligned.
Too much philosophy??? Okay, I will get right to the story now!!!


That' s me gulping down a burger at Sydney airport

It was a bit of a drizzle when I stepped out to get a taxi. Searching for the taxi stand, I started walking. There were so many cars going out and coming in; all big ones. I couldn't figure out which a taxi was. I thought about how easy it was to spot an auto in India (Black and yellow, not so mellow). A couple of cars just drew close and stopped. Both had taxi caps!! Voila!!  I gave him the address and told him I had only US currency with me. He thought for a long time and then nodded. I knew what he was thinking but then, he didn't seem queer. So I hopped in blissfully, for the first time breathing in a bit of Sydney.

A lucky shot... took it from inside the taxi ...great bike and great bike gear!!! 


Pictures are my memories - taken on the way to the city from airport


Like a kid going to Disney land for the first time, I was thrilled. That cheery moment is still fresh in my mind. As usual, when I am excited, I don't observe much. So the journey of how my taxi entered Sydney Central Business District is a blur. It is crazy how the taxi driver asked for a whooping 60 US dollars and I gave it to him without any questions. No doubt the journey was long but never expected it to be that expensive. Oh, come on, don't be a miser, I said to myself and entered the most ravishing building in the Kent Street, Sydney – The Meriton Kent.

The aura was foreign to me. It must be the scent of some expensive freshner, I had mused. All this while did I mention I was holding 2 big suitcases and a duffel bag and a hand bag with just 2 hands??? Yes, as soon as I realized it, I dropped them off in the entrance and walked briskly to the reception. As the queue faded, I faced a lovely lady with a bright smile. She asked me how she can help. I told her. I was asked to pay first. It was a business trip or should I call it "an onshore assignment”and I had to pay a percentage of the lodging costs. I showed a "Well-Well-Of course-why not?!’ expression similar to that of Rowan Atkinson in ‘Bean’ and dug my bag. With great style, I gave her my Forex card, you should have seen the pride on my face.

Man only proposes, and who disposes? …  Yes, that's exactly what happened, the warmth in the receptionists smile faded and she told me that my Forex card didn't work. And and and I had only 30 dollars left. A perfect “Nani nani boo boo” moment. OKAY. I literally grew weak on my knees wanting to drink some water. I excused myself and let the shock sink in. Then came the challenge of finding a phone booth, calling my manager and get back to Meriton and all this by a direction-incompetent me.


Simply, Sydney - Picture taken by me from the circular quay late October 2010

The traffic signals were so tourist friendly; I called up my manager from a borrowed mobile of a kind-hearted gentleman and  I'd be allowed to get inside my apartment in Meriton without paying the bills that day, or at least that moment. I thanked my stars and all those who helped me and got in. It was the 14th floor. My adrenaline rush came to a stop and I felt like crashing that moment. But can a broke person afford a shut-eye? No way. I called up my boyfriend (now-husband) from the apartment telephone and told the story.
You know why I thanked my stars? It was my birthday that day– October the 12th 2010 and I shall remember that day forever.

A pause, a reflection and a memory!!!  Thanks for that, Sydney!!!




A vivid flower in full bloom, gave me a warm welcome - Pic taken by me


Thanks for reading!!!  I did take my luggage from the entrance to my apartment :)

Comments

  1. nice to read something written by you after a long time roh! keep writing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh as I read this.. I could imagine how you would have felt :D we are like destiny's favorite 'prank' child :P kuch na kuch gadbad hota rehta hai :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Yo-Yo' Tribe - A Meme

OK. Time for some fun, folks! Walk down the streets of any city, you are sure to find weirdos of all kinds. I am not being judgmental here, but trust me, there are a bunch of people who think of themselves as the coolest tribe on earth and the cool-ness is defined by their hair-dos and hair styles.  Let me give you some examples here...

Beginning the meme with a Zen-like look. I should admit that this look is more 'yogic' than weird. But only until he doesn't untie that bun on top! I name them the Zen tribe! :D
This style screams attention; attention from railroad signals to be specific. There are so many parallel tracks for trains to ply! The Awesome Railroad Tribe!

Well, well, I only get to see between my strands of hair and this is called 'Looking- through-the-hair-look'. "Are you smiling? winking? blushing? I don't have a clue!"




"Fine, I am growing a pine forest in my head and yes, it is fall time and some trees are starting to change color. I be…

Optimum behavior of a productive techie

How to optimize your behavior to become a productive techie?
No emails, no trouble – If you don’t listen to my advice you will end up being buried under a billion emails, most of them unread by the end of this year. Emails are infectious. The biggest hindrance to a techie’s productivity, is emails. As long as you can stick to messages confined to the subject area like the one below, it is fine. But do not go beyond that and don’t you touch the body! Get independence from your emails, be a loud and shameless conversationalist. Be a caveman, do not ping, do not email, just go talk to the person next to you.
To: Preeya.Raj@XXX.com Subject: Code’s working, dude. Yay Peanuts at my desk
Walk like quick-silver – Fly, Fly to the restroom and back, Fly to the printer and back, Just fly, never walk. Redefine god speed and make time for C++.
Do not carry a bag – One of the most important rules. Never carry a bag/ purse/ lunch bag to work. There are hawks in the workplace who monitor you meaningl…

[Home and Decor] :: Ideas for a perfect home

I have long been envisioning a place which is soulful and dreamy; a place that would like to call home.The essentials of my idea of a perfect home are:
Family and friends – They are the soulfulness and the life of every home. They are indeed those elements that make a ‘house’ a ‘sweet home’. Can’t do without’em!
Space – I am stuck with this space conundrum every time I enter an under-construction building. There seems to be a gap here. There were homes in earlier days which advocated spatial freedom and now everyone seem to look for compact homes. Think about living in concrete boxes?! I understand the money-factor involved but some with enough and more are unwilling to go for a spacious place too. The heritage houses of south India are perfect examples of space management when it comes to homes.
Sunlight - Who wants to live in a cave or a scary house?! In Vasthu Shastra and Feng Shui, we would notice a simple yet striking similarity which encompasses the need for sunlight to flow throu…